The Abbazia Sette Frati is located just outside the village of Pietrafitta. There are several hypotheses on the origins of its name. The most likely one is that it is so called in honor of seven brothers, sons of St. Felicita, who were martyred in Rome on 10 July 164 AD. However, it should be noted that in most documents this locality is indicated as ‘Abbazia of San Benedetto from Pietrafitta’, and only rarely as ‘abbey of the seven brothers’.

At first, the abbey was entrusted to Monsignor Baldeschi, then passed to Fabrizio degli Oddi, then to Gentile Baglioni, until when the Pope, in 1560, gave it to Cardinal Fulvio della Corgna, who restored and renewed the architectural complex (it is also said with the intervention of Galeazzo Alessi) transforming it into a sort of hunting lodge. After 1860, having become property of the newly born Italian State, the Abbazia dei Sette Frati was sold to Cesaroni, an entrepreneur from Perugia, and in 1921 passed to the family Sposini, which still owns it today.

The valuable architectural complex was erected between the end of the 11th and the beginning of the 12th century, probably on pre-existing structures, by Benedictine monks and consists of a series of buildings over a total of approximately 1300 square meters. In addition to the Benedictine monastery – of which the original porch, loggias, cellars, refectory and impressive entrance remain – the Romanesque church is part of the complex.
This church, built on a single nave, has a façade embellished by a rosette. It is arranged on three levels: that of the nave, that of the presbytery and that of the crypt. It should be noted that the ceiling of the loggia, where the date of 1570 appears, the stairs and rooms of the noble floor are decorated with grotesque portraying allegorical scenes and sacred stories (episodes of the Old Testament) attributed to Salvio Savini.